Monday 8 December 2014

Homemade body sugar scrubs - great gift ideas

This time of year, and lets face it, every other time of year, is busy busy busy!  If you're anything like me you have all the best intentions to make homemade gifts during the year, pinning lots of cute ideas to your Pinterest boards, spotting gorgeous jars and bottles in your travels, making a mental note to come back and get them closer to Christmas....  Is that you too?!!
Well then you will understand me when I say that as much as I am happy I have actually pulled it off this year, I am equally surprised that I have actually pulled it off this year!!
But seriously these sugar scrubs are not only a really lovely gift to receive, they are also all natural (no preservatives or numbers), can be all organic if you choose, and only contain two ingredients for the base - YES TWO!! - and then whatever flavours/scents you chose to personalise them.
No whiz bang appliances are needed - just a bowl and a spoon - and within the hour you will have a collection of jars looking so pretty, good enough to eat, and ready to go!

Teachers, neighbours, grandparents, the postie..... whoever you want to give a little gift to to say thanks for all you've done/been this year, this is definitely the thing to make!
I tested some of my scrubs out this morning and my skin is so soft and smooth!  I loved the result so much I think the next batch may just be for our shower!!
The most difficult part of this recipe is deciding which flavour/scent combinations to choose.  I have included some ideas to get you thinking below.

Enjoy the festive season Mellymaks family!  And don't lose sight of whats most important throughout the busyness!!
Enjoy...
Homemade body sugar scrubs

Homemade body sugar scrubs

Ingredients

3 cups sugar (I used white this time but in my research the scrubs will work just as well with brown sugar)
3/4 cup oil (I used grapeseed oil, but again many oils would work well - almond, avocado, coconut, macadamia)
flavours ( In one batch I used 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract.  In the other batch I used the juice of half a lime, the grated rind of a whole lime and a splash of peppermint extract)

Method

  1. Put all ingredients into the bowl and mix well.
  2. Spoon into jars and seal. (This recipe filled 5 x 200ml jars - see pic above)
  3. Store in a cool, dry place.  It will apparently keep for months!

Flavour/scent options
  • Citrus essential oils and a cinnamon stick
  • Chai - Cinnamon, cardamon, star anise, cloves, black tea leaves
  • Ground freeze-dried strawberries
  • Coffee grounds and vanilla bean extract
  • Raw honey and ginger powder
  • Grated lemongrass and lime zest

No comments:

Post a Comment